Lauderdale house fire claims one victim
WAITING E.B. Gowdy of Kemper County stands by as firefighters work through hot spots in the rubble of a friend's house destroyed by fire Saturday. Photo by Sharon White/The Meridian Star
By Sharon White/The Meridian Star
Sunday, Dec. 3, 2000
LAUDERDALE Volunteer firefighters say they are unsure what caused a house fire here Saturday evening that claimed one life.
Authorities could not immediately confirm the identify of the victim, who died in the blaze at 10896 Henry Wedgeworth Road. The fire was first reported about 6:30 p.m.
Cobler said the victim was found about 6 feet from the house's front door, although he could not yet confirm whether death was caused by fire, carbon monoxide or a health-related situation, such as a heart attack.
Former Lauderdale resident E.B. Gowdy said he feared the victim was a friend of his and came to the house only to find his friend's yellow Chevrolet still in the driveway.
Firefighters from four volunteer units spent nearly two hours on the scene trying to put the fire out and confirm whether anyone was inside the wood-frame structure before returning to their respective stations.
Firefighters said they were on the scene within 10 minutes of the emergency summons, but the somewhat isolated location of the house may have delayed the emergency call.
Sharon White is a staff writer for The Meridian Star. E-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org