Ad Spot

Blaze damages home

By By Marianne Todd/The Meridian Star
March 7, 2001
Meridian firefighters saved a Spruce Street home Tuesday morning after a blaze erupted behind the clothes dryer in the home's laundry room.
Cherry Fountain Barnes, who owns the home at 6309 Spruce St., said she was in the rear of the home when she looked outside and saw smoke in the backyard. When she went to investigate, she saw flames shooting up from behind her dryer, she said.
Barnes' two children were at school at the time the fire began, about 10 a.m.
Barnes said she was grateful to have escaped because if she hadn't seen the smoke she likely would have been trapped in the rear of the home.
Firefighters from several stations rolled to the scene in time to extinguish the flames and ventilate the smoke. The home suffered heavy smoke damage and moderate damage to the laundry room.
Marianne Todd is a staff writer for The Meridian Star. E-mail her at mtodd@themeridianstar.com.

x