Fire destroys Meridian house
FIGHTING FIRE Clark Wilson, left, with Metro Ambulance, helps Meridian firefighter David Sharp carry a ladder to a burning home at 808 Braxton Ave. early Wednesday as other Meridian firefighters man hoses. The fire was caused by a candle left burning in the bathroom. No one was home at the time. Photo by Marianne Todd/The Meridian Star
By Fredie Carmichael/The Meridian Star
Dec. 6, 2001
Fire engine sirens and thick smoke outside their bedroom window on Braxton Street woke Richard Lee Brown and Annie Gordon on Wednesday.
When they stepped outside, they saw the house across the street at 808 Braxton Ave. on fire.
Firefighters from station No. 2 of the Meridian Fire Department two blocks away noticed the smoke while they were washing their fire truck in front of the station.
The unit quickly responded shortly after 8 a.m. and began putting out the fire.
No one was home at the time of the fire; the victims couldn't be reached for comment.
Gordon said the fire department worked hard to save the house.
Fredie Carmichael is a staff writer for The Meridian Star. Call him at 693-1551, ext. 3228, or e-mail him at email@example.com.