Ad Spot

WL Lady Knights move to 28-3

By By Jamie Sullivan/staff writer
Feb. 9, 2002
The West Lauderdale Lady Knights improved to 28-3 on the year with a 74-68 win over the Lady Tigers of Southeast Lauderdale on Friday night.
In boys' action, the Knights skipped past Southeast 67-52.
Southeast Lauderdale girls head coach Joe Miller missed the first half of play Friday night, due to an automobile accident, sending his wife to the emergency room.
The first quarter saw the Lady Knights put 13 points on the board, compared to 11 for the Lady Tigers.
In the second quarter, the Lady Tigers added 16 points to the board, only to trail 30-27 at the half.
The Lady Tigers came into the third quarter, and cut the lead to one point, but the Lady Knights found a four-point run to take a 48-41 lead. The Lady Knights totaled 20 points in the quarter, while SEL tallied 16 points.
In the final quarter, the Lady Tigers took a one-point lead when Lesley Ruffin stole an in-bounds pass, to put the Lady Tigers on top 60-59.
However, the Lady Knights would not be fazed, as J.J. Huggins put the Lady Knights back on top 61-60. The game went back-and-forth at one point for two minutes.
As the final minutes expired, both teams sent players to the free throw line, to shoot final shots. The Lady Knights used the free throws to their advantage, by taking a 74-68 victory.
West Lauderdale head coach Jody Hurst said he hopes this game brought a wake-up call to his team.
The Lady Knights were led in scoring by Kristina Gardner with 23 and J.J. Huggins with 19.
SEL was led in scoring by Lesley Ruffin with 30, Samantha Smith 11, and Shalonda Mitchell added 10.
Miller hopes to get one more chance before the season is over.
Miller may get his chance next week in the Division 5-3A Tournament. Should Miller's Lady Tigers win their first game, they will tangle with the Lady Knights once more this season.
Hurst is looking forward to the match-up as well.
West Lauderdale boys 67
Southeast Lauderdale 52
The SEL Tigers jumped on the West Lauderdale Knights quick in the first quarter, by taking a 10-5 lead in the opening minutes of the game.
The homestanding Tigers took a 19-18 lead into the second quarter.
However things would change in the second quarter, as the Knights outscored Southeast to take a 39-32 lead into the dressing room at the intermission.
West Lauderdale not only took control of the game, but they did some clock management in the third quarter as well. With three minutes left on the clock, the Knights pulled the ball back to half-court, and let time expire to 10 seconds on the clock. After a missed attempt, Boo Ramsey rebounded the ball, and knocked down a two-point field goal to take a 53-44 lead.
The Knights added 14 points in the fourth quarter to seal a 67-52 victory over the Tigers.
West Lauderdale was led in scoring by Karlos Lewis with 21, Ramsey with 18, and Calvin Moore with 17.
The 5-24 Tigers were led in scoring by LaPatrick Carlisle with 20, and Nehemiah Nwankpah added 16.
Both teams will be in action again next week, when they travel to Heidelberg for the Division 5-3A Tournament.