Ad Spot

Lake Lady Hornets wear 6-1A crown

By By Marty Stamper/staff writer
Feb. 16, 2002
UNION – Lake's Lady Hornets and Thomastown's Bulldogs captured championships in the Division 6-1A Tournament finals Friday night.
Lake routed Sebastopol 83-46 in the girls' finals with Thomastown turning back Union 63-60 in the boys' title game.
Both girls' teams will return to action Monday in first-round games in the Class 1A South State Tournament. Lake will host McAdams, while Sebastopol will visit Durant in a pair of 7 p.m. contests.
The boys will play on Tuesday with Union hitting the road and Thomastown playing at home.
Lake girls 83
Sebastopol 46
The defending Class 1A state champion Lady Hornets used a 23-0 run in the first half to beat Scott County rival Sebastopol for the fourth time in as many meetings this season.
Lake, 27-3, was clinging to an 11-9 lead and had 6-foot-1 senior Kimyatta Viverette on the bench after she had picked up her second foul just 85 seconds into the title game.
The Lady Hornets got a three-pointer from Valerie Hayes a second before the first quarter ended to go up 22-9 and added a dozen more unanswered points in the 23-0 run in building a 42-24 lead by halftime.
Lake led 70-32 to start the fourth quarter and led by as many as 43 points.
Shariece Towner hit five 3-pointers, four of which came in the third period, to lead Lake with 15 points. Kim Cox and Latoyia Hunt both scored 12 points, Roxana Rogers had 10, Kimyatta Viverette and April Viverette both scored eight, and Valerie Harris tossed in six.
Thomastown 63
Union boys 60
Thomastown scored the first eight points of the second half on the way to a 12-1 run as the Bulldogs turned a 28-27 halftime deficit into a 39-29 lead.
Union spotted Thomastown an early 10-3 lead to start the game only to take a one-point lead into halftime.
After trailing by as many as 12 points in the second half, Union got to within 49-41 on a four-point play by Douglas Wansley with 1.5 seconds left in the third period.
The Bulldogs extended their lead to 56-46 with just under five minutes to go before a series of turnovers and poor shot selection allowed Union to go on a 9-0 run to close to within 56-55 with 1:40 remaining.
Wansley and Prentiss Evans fouled out for Union over the next 50 seconds and Gerrick Nichols was 6-of-6 at the free-throw line to give the Bulldogs a 62-57 lead with 16 seconds to play.
Derrick Harris pulled Union to within 62-60 with a 3-pointer with 9.4 seconds remaining.
David Harper hit one free throw for Thomastown with 4.5 seconds left for a 63-60 lead and Harris' prayer from just inside midcourt at the buzzer was well off line.