Wayne County blasts past Vancleave, 38-7

By By Dale McKee/EMG sports writer
November 8, 2003
WAYNESBORO The Wayne County War Eagles scored two touchdowns within a 12-second span early in the third period to break open a close game with Vancleave to claim a 38-7 opening round win in the 4A playoffs.
The War Eagles, ranked No. 4 by the Associated Press, led 21-7 at intermission, but after an unsuccessful onside kick to being the second half by the visiting Bulldogs, Wayne County, 10-1, took control and never looked back.
The War Eagles took that second half kickoff and moved 52 yards in five plays to score on a 21-yard pass from freshman quarterback Drexler Johnson to J.J. Taylor with 9:36 to play in the third period.
On the War Eagles' kickoff Tristian Rogers recovered a loose ball at the Bulldogs 22-yard line, and Wayne County was back in business. On the first play, Johnson hit Mario Davis on a pass for the score with 9:24 to play in the period.
After a sluggish beginning, the War Eagles scored first with 3:09 to play in the opening period. Johnson scored from the 4, and that capped a 57-yard, 11-play drive by the War Eagles. The big play in the scoring drive was a 2-yard run by Jerrod Sims on a fourth-and-one play at the Vancleave 44-yard line.
The visitors got on the scoreboard early in the second period when Matt Sloan scored from the 1-yard line.
The Bullies' touchdown was set up when Wayne County fumbled a Vancleave punt at their own 27-yard line.
Sloan kept the drive alive with an 8-yard run on a fourth-and-three play from the Wayne County 9-yard line.
Wayne then woke up on offense and started moving the ball without much difficulty. Wayne County drove 65 yards in seven plays to score on a 13-yard run by Sims. The score came with 6:40 to play in the half.
The War Eagles' defense set up the next score by keeping Vancleave backed up close to their own goal line. The Bulldogs punted from their 4-yard line and Wayne County took over on the Vancleave 29-yard line.
Two plays later, Johnson hit a wide open Shunta Pugh for a 27-yard touchdown pass. The score came with 4:45 to play in the half. Breck Mills hit his third conversion of the half to increase the War Eagles' lead to 21-7.