Catch fish quiz answers
I hope everyone enjoyed taking the quiz last week. This week I'll provide the answers and you can see how much you really know about fishing and our local lakes.
1. A, Cedar is the largest of the Bear Creek Lakes at 4200 acres. It is followed by Upper Bear at 1850 acres, Little Bear at 1560 acres and Big Bear at 670 acres. You would think that Big Bear is the largest but it's not.
2. D, The Bear Creek Education center is located on Big Bear Lake. The Education Center offers opportunities for adults and youths to build confidence, promote co-operation, and improve leadership skills all while participating in outdoor activities.
3. A, The "timber point" is located on Cedar Lake. If you don't know the location ask anyone that bass fishes on a regular basis and they can "point" it out.
4. C, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band performs the song "Fishing In the Dark". This song was played during the exiting of the wedding party at our ceremony. It seems like I have listened to this song my whole life, and I was surprised by how many people had never heard of it.
5. B, Noodles are used to catch catfish. They are the 5ft long strips of foam that are used as floats in swimming pools. You cut the noodle into 12-inch sections, tie a long string with a hook on one end to the middle, bait the hook with chicken livers, and chunk it into the lake. When a fish takes the bait it will swim off with the noodle and you can chase it down and retrieve the fish. It's like jug fishing, only without the jug.
6. D, "Bullet" is the brand name for a bass boat and fishing weights. Anyone that fishes with me knows that one day I hope to own a Bullet.
7. D, I have Verizon cellular service so I don't have to worry about harassing phone calls while I'm fishing.
8. A, The 2007 B.A.S.S. Club State Championship will be held Nov. 10 on Cedar Lake. The Belgreen Bass Club plans to have six teams entering this event.
9. D, Tim Horton graduated from Russellville High School in 1991. During 2007 his highest ranking was fifth, he has qualified for the 2008 Bassmaster Classic, and he is the next angler expected to enter the million dollar club.
10. D, The best time to go fishing is anytime you have the chance. It's difficult to predict when fish will bite so the best thing to do is fish often and hope the bass are hungry.
Did you score a perfect 10? Congratulations if you did and don't be ashamed if you didn't. At least now you know a little more than you did a few minutes ago. If you've never seen our local lakes then it's time for a Sunday afternoon drive. Take the opportunity to enjoy our local lakes and take a kid fishing.
Kevin Stone is branch manager and loan officer at Valley State Bank and can be reached at (256) 332-3600.