RFD encourages clothes dryer safety
Some of the most common household fire risks are familiar to most everyone – unattended stove burners, electric heaters and candles, for example. But there’s one appliance many homeowners use every day that can easily cause a fire without proper maintenance: the clothes dryer.
One of the most important aspects of clothes dryer safety is proper installation. The Russellville Fire Department encourages homeowners to have dryers professionally-installed to make sure it is properly grounded and exhaust vent pipes and flaps are operating as they should.
Here are a few regular maintenance tips to keep in mind for safe clothes drying:
– Do not use the dryer without a lint filter, and check the filter before and after each cycle.
– Don’t forget to clean the back of the dryer, where lint can build up.
– Regularly check the venting system to ensure it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.
– Make sure the appropriate plug and outlet are used to power the machine.
– Follow manufacturer’s operating instructions and don’t overload the dryer.
– When leaving home or going to bed, do not leave the dryer on.