Jason Goodwin moves to RHS principal
At a board meeting last week, the RCS Board of Education voted to transfer Jason Goodwin from Russellville High School assistant principal to principal.
This move follows the promotion of Principal Tim Guinn to a position at central office.
“My drive to move into the role of principal is greatly influenced through my compassion to better the education of children,” Goodwin said. “I have had the opportunity to work in schools that bought into a shared vision and believed in their leadership. When individuals believe in you as a leader, there is a great motivation to utilize that to provide an impact on a greater number of students.”
Goodwin said he’s looking forward to serving at a higher level at Russellville High School to “serve this community in educating and continuing the growth of our children.”
“The role of an assistant principal has prepared me for many things in education related to the position of principal; however, being able to work under great mentors and leaders such as Dr. Tim Guinn and Superintendent Heath Grimes has had the most impact by providing me with the foundation and framework to serve in the principal role,” Goodwin said. “Serving as assistant principal has allowed me the opportunity to lead the curriculum and operations within a school, while serving as a mentee under their leadership has enabled me to experience the holistic responsibilities required of this position.”
Goodwin is a graduate from the University of North Alabama with a bachelor’s degree in secondary education/chemistry along with a master’s and Ed.S degree in instructional leadership. He began his career in the Lawrence County School System in 2008 as a chemistry teacher and was then moved to the assistant principal position at Lawrence County High School. He became the assistant principal at Russellville High School in June 2015.
He is married to Cassie Goodwin, and they have two children, Sam and Joe, ages 5 and 2.
The school board also recognized RHS choir students Destiny Cooper, Emili Crummie and Patrick Crummie for their vocal achievements, and approved several contracts, trip requests and personnel changes:
– Contract with Kellie Singleton for public relation services.
– Contract with LEAN Frog
– Trip Requests: RHS cheerleaders, to attend cheer camp at Auburn University, and RMS Cheerleaders, to attend cheer camp at Auburn University
– Retirement in Position: Judy Vafeas, EL aide, RES, effective July 1; Carolyn Hubbard, custodian, RES, effective June 1, 2016; John Smith, teacher, RHS; effective May 1.
– Resignation in Position: Shane Reid, teacher, RHS, effective April 22; Brooke Long, teacher and girls’ basketball coach, RHS, effective May 27.
– Substitutes: Linda McKinney, Guillermina Zamora, Abby McHugh and John Smith.