Ad Spot

Retha Christine Gober

Retha Christine Gober passed away Dec. 19 at Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital in Florence.  She had been a resident of Mitchell–Hollingsworth Nursing and Rehabilitation Center of Florence since September 2016.

Born May 27, 1924, the first of two children, to Troy and Myrtie (Johnson) Harcrow in Glencoe, Christine married Marlin Gober Sr. Aug. 19, 1941. She worked at Fort McClellan during WWII and while her husband served in the U. S. Army in England, Belgium, France and Germany. After the war, they got on with their lives, raising two sons and pursuing work wherever opportunity arose in and around Ohatchee (Calhoun County).

Christine was preceded in death by her husband, her parents, her brother R. C. Harcrow and a son, Benton Franklin.

She is survived by sons Marlin Jr. of Sheffield and Terry and wife Sherry of Litchfield Park, Ariz.; granddaughters Cynthia Gober of Godfrey, Ill., and T. J. and husband Nathan Fleming of Litchfield Park; grandson Troy Wesley Gober of Tempe, Ariz.; one great-grandson, Aiden Gregory Lee Fleming of Litchfield Park; two dear sisters-in-law, Lois (Gober) McCalpin of Cooper, Texas, and Lola Harcrow of Smithville, Tenn.; and dozens of nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and nephews and great-grandnieces and nephews.

The family wishes to thank all of Christine’s relatives, friends and neighbors for all your caring concern.  Thanks to the caregivers at Brookdale Shoals (Assisted Living) for their kindness during Christine’s short stay there. Thanks to the nursing and administrative personnel at Mitchell–Hollingsworth of Florence for their wonderful care and kindness. Thanks to Dr. John  Bartmess, attending physician at Mitchell–Hollingsworth for his care. Thanks to the nursing staff of 6 West of Eliza Coffee Memorial for their tender care in Christine’s final hours. Thanks also to Dr. Kristy Crandell of Red Bay who was Christine’s primary physician for more than 20 years.

Visitation and services were held in Deaton Funeral Home Chapel, Red Bay, with Pastor Danny Stanford officiating. Visitation was from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Dec. 23. The funeral service followed at 1 p.m. Burial was in Burnout Cemetery, with no graveside service.