Eddie Britton announces campaign
I am Eddie Britton, and I am running for the Alabama House – District 18.
I am proud to have called Belgreen my home for my entire life. My wife Kathy and I own several small businesses in the area and raise cattle. We have been married for 41 years and are parents to Alison and David. We are blessed to be grandparents to four beautiful children.
Our district’s children have been the center of my life. After earning my bachelor’s degree in math and science at the University of North Alabama, I spent my entire career in education. I taught math and science at Red Bay and Phil Campbell high schools before returning to Belgreen as assistant principal and then principal. I also taught night school for 11 years at Northwest-Shoals Community College, a particularly satisfying experience because I had attended NW-SCC as a student prior to transferring to UNA.
While working as an educator, I obtained both a master’s degree from UNA and a doctorate from Samford University.
I was chosen to serve as president of the Alabama Association of Secondary School Principals and also served as chair of the Southern Region of the National Association of Secondary School Principals. I am proud to have been selected as Principal of the Year in Alabama.
I am a member of the Franklin County Cattlemen’s Association, the Gideons and Rotary International. For many years, I was a volunteer with the Belgreen Fire Department, and as a young man I was active in Boy Scouts.
Kathy and I attend Belgreen United Methodist Church.
When I have the time, I enjoy hunting, fishing and golfing. Saturdays in the fall, I can be found cheering our college teams on to victory!
Why I Am Running
I was born and raised here and oversaw the education of two generations of our young people. I care deeply about the future of our district. After putting all of my efforts into educating our children, it is important to me that we promise our young people that they can stay and thrive here.
To deliver on that promise we need to:
- Make sure our schools are excellent and safe for children.
- Ensure they have quality health care available when a crisis strikes with a strong system of rural hospitals and affordable health insurance.
- Create good jobs locally to allow them to stay here and raise their families.
- Improve our infrastructure by restoring our deteriorating roads and bridges.
- Work with all sides to get things done.
- Generate opportunities in our tech schools for young people to earn an apprenticeship before graduating from high school in trades such as machinists, welders, electricians, plumbers, computer operators, pipe-fitters, etc.
- Provide the know-how and support to allow the next generation of farmers to succeed.
What does Eddie Britton stand for?
I am pro-life.
I support the second amendment.
I support term limits for all state level positions.
I will support a new law where the names of all local candidates, including judges, will appear on both primary ballots, which will allow every voter to vote for the candidate of their choice, regardless of party affiliation.
I have spent my whole career setting and meeting high expectations. Only our best is good enough for those for which we are responsible. It is time to expect Montgomery to deliver on the promises we make to the next generation – the promises of a better Alabama.
Please vote for Eddie Britton Nov. 6.