Council approves new traffic signal on Highway 24
At the April 1 Russellville City Council meeting, the city council approved a resolution authorizing Mayor David Grissom and the city clerk to execute a permit for the installation and maintenance of a new traffic signal at the Alabama Highway 24 and Lawrence Street/Walnut Gate Road intersection.
According to the agreement between the City of Russellville and the Alabama Department of Transportation, the installation, electricity and maintenance of the traffic signal will be the responsibility of the city.
Police Chief Chris Hargett confirmed several car wrecks occur annually at that intersection, and there have even been a couple of fatalities this year at the location.
Other actions taken at the meeting included:
- Presenting the FY 2017-18 audit.
- Presenting a National Library Week resolution.
- Approving the Parks and Recreation sports contract with Taylor Hamilton.
- Approving the appointment of Roy Malone as assistant superintendent in the Russellville Street Department.
- Approving the hiring of Hunter Campbell as a laborer in the Russellville Street Department.
- Approving Eva Diaz to the Russellville Public Library Advisory Board.
- Approving the request from the Russellville City Schools Foundation Board of Directors to waive the rental fee at the A.W. Todd Centre for April 8.