Phil Campbell anglers earn spot in national tournament
Four Phil Campbell anglers earned spots in the national high school fishing tournament on Kentucky Lake.
The team of Dakota Mansell and Cade Baker and the team of Easton Cummings and Seth Hall finished in third and fourth place respectively out of 203 boats at the ASABFA Classic Tournament May 3-4 on Lake Jordan near Wetumpka.
The Mansell/Baker boat brought in 29.33 pounds, and the Cummings/Hall boat brought in 28.84 pounds.
The Phil Campbell team as a whole came in first place in the ASABFA Classic Tournament and jumped from 13th in the state to fifth in the state after the tournament.
Also, two Phil Campbell anglers – Mansell and Trent Gonzalez – won $1,000 scholarships from the ASABFA, which is the governing body for high school fishing teams. The two seniors were presented the awards at the state classic pre-tournament meeting last weekend.
They also won Casey Stockton Memorial Scholarships, as well.
ASABFA CLASSIC TOURNAMENT COMPETITORS FROM FC
- Dakota Mansell and Cade Baker, third place
- Seth Hall and Easton Cummings, fourth place
- Bynum Franks and Eli Franks, sixth place
- Eli Jackson and Kendric Baker, 27th
- Trent Gonzalez and Eric Allen, 64th
- Kaden Osborn and Gage Baker, 141st
- Brady Hovater and Brodie Vandiver, 112th
- Landon Hill and Holden Sykes, 125th
- Seth Sykes and Brent Sykes, 136th
- Trey Willingham and David Plott, 143rd
- Caige Smith and Will Donahoe, 192nd