Plan now for Founders Day pageant, contests
Red Bay’s big annual festival is on the horizon, and with the return of the Founders Day Festival comes a slate of contests for the community.
The Red Bay Founders Day Pageant will take place Sept. 18 at 2 p.m. in the Red Bay High School Auditorium.
“The 2022 pageant promises to be lots of fun with big crowns and custom sashes,” said pageant host Kay Thorn. “We will have qualified non-local judges who will judge your child fairly. Each child will be scored, and winners will be based on the highest scores.”
Age divisions are available for boys 0-2 and 3-5, plus girls categories of 0-11 months, 12-23 months, 2-3 years, 4-5 years, 6-7 years, 8-9 years, 10-12 years, 13-15 years and 16-19 years. Divisions are subject to change.
When it comes to attire, contestants in 0-11 months and 12-23 months groups may wear Sunday dresses or pageant dresses, as not all babies are comfortable in pageant dresses. Ages 2 and older is pageant dress only. Boys’ attire is Sunday best. Hair and makeup is at mother’s discretion for all ages.
Entry fee is $35 for those who enter and pay by Sept. 9. Any entries received after this date will be $45. Siblings receive a $5 discount.
“Most Photogenic” entry is $5 extra and is optional. If entering a photo, bring it the day of the pageant when coming in to register. Photos should be unframed, 8×10 or smaller, and families can pick up pictures from the registration table once the pageant begins.
Door admission is $5, and everyone except contestants and children under 10 must pay to enter.
- Queen and three alternates in each age group.
- Kings/Queens will receive a crown, custom sash and Founders Day T-shirt.
- Kings/Queens will be featured at the Founders Day Festival Sept. 24. They will be introduced and enjoy a Kings/Queens Train Ride.
- Alternates will receive a trophy.
- All participants will receive a small gift.
For questions about the pageant, call or text Thorn at 662-424-3822 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The coloring contest page for the 2022 Founders Day Festival – for those in kindergarten through third grade – can be picked up at the Franklin County Extension in the basement of the Franklin County Courthouse or from the Red Bay City Hall.
Entrants should make sure the entry form is filled out and attached to the back of the coloring sheet. Duplicate as needed. Entries must be delivered to the Franklin County Extension Office or Red Bay City Hall Sept. 21 by 4 p.m.
There are two age categories: kindergarten through first grade second through third grade.
Prizes are as follows:
- • First place: $10 and certificate, plus $25 for the winner’s teacher
- • Second place: $8 and certificate
- • Third place: $6 and certificate
For more information call 256-332-8880.
The City of Red Bay and the Franklin County Extension will host the 13th Annual Founders Day Photography Contest, with the theme “Honoring Red Bay’s Heroes.”
Photos will be on display at the Weatherford Library during the festival beginning at 8:30 a.m.
- There are two age groups – adults 19 and older and youth 18 and younger.
- There are five photo categories: law enforcement, paramedics, EMTs, firefighters and emergency department personnel/nurses/doctors.
- Contestants may enter two categories, one photo per category.
- Photos can be taken using a film or a digital camera.
- Photos must have been taken by the contestant submitting the entry.
- Photos must be in color and a minimum of 5×7 but no larger than 18×18.
- Photos must be mounted flat on plain white or black poster board or foam board. Mounted size may be no larger than 20×20.
- Entrants must fill out the information sheet and attach it to their photography submission.
- Titles or other information should not be included on the front of the board.
- Entries will be received at Red Bay City Hall Sept. 21 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Photos in each category will be judged for first, second and third places. Winners in each category will be awarded a cash prize and ribbon – $50 for first, $30 for second and $20 for third. Best in Show will receive $50 and a plaque.
- Entrants may pick up their photos at Red Bay City Hall Sept. 26 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
FRIED PIE CONTEST
The City of Red Bay and the Franklin County Extension will host the 13th Annual Founders Day Fried Pie Contest.
- Entries should be submitted Sept. 24 at the gazebo in Bay Tree Park from 11-11:20 a.m.
- Judging will begin at 11:30 a.m.
- Entries must consist of four pies. They should be entered on a paper plate covered in plastic wrap.
- Entries must include name, address, telephone number, category and flavor of fried pie on the bottom of plate.
- Best tasting entries will be awarded $100 for first place, $60 for second place and $40 for third place.
- Most unusual entries will be awarded $50 for first place, $30 for second place and $20 for third place.
- Best in Show will receive $50 and a plaque.
The City of Red Bay and the Franklin County Extension will host the 13th Annual Founders Day Quilting Contest, with a range of categories available. Age divisions will be 19 and older or 18 and younger.
- Quilts may be delivered to Red Bay City Hall Sept. 21 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- • All quilt entries must be clean, free of odor and pet hair; constructed of fabric – three layers, top, batting and backing; and unframed or stretched on another material.
- • All quilt entries must have a label attached to the back. The label must include at least the name of the maker(s), address, telephone number, age category and the year completed.
- • Quilts to be judged must be constructed and quilted by the person or people named on the entry form only.
- • All quilts must be quilted by either hand or machine. No tied quilts or comforters will be accepted.
- • Quilts must have been made in the past five years and must not have been exhibited during the 2021 Founders’ Day Festival Quilting contest.
- Awards will be given – first place $60, second place $40 and third place $20 – in a number of categories, from entries that are pieced by hand or by machine to those that incorporate piecing as well as appliqué, as well as small/wall quilts. Best in show will receive $50 and a plaque, and Judges Choice Award will be $40 and a plaque.
Quilt Display and Pickup:
- Quilts will be judged Sept. 23.
- Quilts will be displayed at Weatherford Library. All entries must remain on display for the duration of the quilt show.
- Although every precaution will be taken to protect your entry, neither the City of Red Bay nor the Franklin County Extension Office will be responsible for any damage or loss.
- Quilts may be picked up Sept. 26 from Red Bay City Hall, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information call Katernia Cole-Coffey, Franklin County Extension, 256-332-8880.