Ad Spot

Rebels keep 3-A record with win

By By Marty Stamper/EMG sports assistant
October 4, 2003
HEIDELBERG Heidelberg Academy continued its dominance of Wayne Academy with a 32-12 Academy 3-A win Friday night.
The Rebels improved to 5-0 in 3-A and 5-2 overall. Only Sylva-Bay Academy stands between Heidelberg and the league championship. Wayne fell to 3-1 and 3-4.
Heidelberg grabbed a 12-0 lead in the game's first five minutes before the Jaguars made matters interesting.
The Rebels struck quickly as Dusty Bass returned the opening kickoff 47 yards to the Wayne 47. On the next play, Brent Welch outran the Jaguars for a 6-0 lead just 21 seconds into the contest. Mason Key's extra point failed.
The Rebels were back in business at the Wayne 27 four plays later following a 13-yard punt by Patton Stanley. Five plays later, Wesley Parker ran in from four yards out for a 12-0 lead with 7:38 still showing in the first quarter. A two-point pass fell incomplete.
The Jaguars put together a nine-play, 81-yard drive to get back in the game. Garet James scored untouched on an 8-yard quarterback draw with 6:20 left in the second quarter. Stanley's PAT was blocked, leaving the Jaguars down 12-6.
If Wayne head coach Johnny Walker could have one play back, it would be the pass James threw near midfield in the final minute of the first half. Heidelberg's Brooks Lewis picked it off and returned it to the Wayne 39.
Two plays later, Lewis found Bass behind the Jaguar secondary for a 38-yard score with only 22.5 seconds left in the first half. Ryan Aultman's PAT failed, but the Rebels carried a two-touchdown lead into halftime.
Heidelberg head coach Tom Lewis, who improved to 135-43 in his 15th year as head coach of the Rebels, was proud his team took advantage of the break.
The score looked even bigger when Wayne opened the second half with a march from its 20 to the Rebel 18 before Stanley lost a fumble at the 31 following a 10-yard penalty for an illegal block. A 47-yard punt by HA's Matthew Andrews pinned the Jaguars at their 2