Ad Spot

ECCC shut out in final game

By By Marty Stamper / EMG sports assistant
Oct. 31, 2003
DECATUR Even in bad seasons, of which there have been many over the years, you could usually count on the East Central Community College Warriors to give a good effort on the football field.
And that was true for the 2003 team until Thursday's 24-0 MACJC South Division loss to Southwest Mississippi.
The Warriors finished 2-7 overall and at best tied for the cellar in the South Division at 1-5. Southwest closed 5-4 and 3-3.
Rod Allen started the game at quarterback in place of Terrell Robinson and the Warriors went three-and-out on their first three possessions.
The Bears took a 7-0 lead with 2:15 left in the first quarter when Reggie Lindsey completed a 37-yard scoring strike to Alvin Winters between a pair of Warrior defenders in the back of the end zone. Royce Fonte added the extra point.
On the 53-yard drive, the Bears overcame two holding penalties and another for illegal procedure. ECCC drew a 15-yard penalty for a hit out of bounds following a 10-yard run by Joseph Tobias.
ECCC had the ball deep in Southwest territory in the second quarter only to have Germaine Smith lose a fumble at the 26.
A 28-yard run by Kenshay Hunter led to a 46-yard field goal try by Mitch Myers with 5:09 left before halftime, but the freshman's kick sailed right of the upright.
The Bears barely beat the clock to double their lead before halftime.
Lindsey rolled right, then threw a 16-yard scoring strike to Scottie Reddix with 10.6 seconds left in the half. Fonte's kick gave the Bears a 14-0 lead.
ECCC threatened late in the third quarter and had second-and-four at the Southwest 30-yard line. One play later, both benches emptied in a brawl. All of ECCC's players except Ken Shields and Cedric Love left the bench. No players from either team were ejected, however.
After order was restored, Myers was wide left on a 47-yard field goal attempt.
ECCC's Mantrell Ashford and Lee Fairchilds were both later ejected for separate incidents.
Between the ejections, Southwest extended its lead to 21-0 on a 66-yard pass from Lindsey to Reddix, who caught the pass despite being held near the ECCC 30. Reddix then pulled away and raced to the end zone.
Southwest tacked on a 32-yard field goal by Fonte with 8:23 left in the game to take a 24-0 lead.
The Warriors reached the Southwest 16 late in the game only to turn the ball over on downs.