Ad Spot

County urges citizens to renew sales tax

Every two years, the citizens of Franklin County decide whether to renew their efforts to provide additional funding for county road projects and city and county schools – to the tune of a 1-cent sales tax.

The time has come for citizens to again vote to renew this 1-cent sales tax, which has been approved every two years since 2010.

“This is a win-win,” said Probate Judge Barry Moore. “It’s just renewing the additional 1 cent sales tax we have.”

Of the tax, 75 percent of the funds go to the schools systems. The remaining 25 percent goes to the county commission for matching funds for ATRIP road projects.

“We couldn’t continue on repairing the roads we have through the ATRIP projects (without these funds),” Moore said.

A yes vote in March will renew the 1-cent tax for another two years.

“With the renewal of this tax, we can complete the $12 million-plus ATRIP projects on bridges and major collector roads in the county,” explained Commissioner Rayburn Massey. “Without the voters approving this tax, those projects could not have been done because neither the highway department nor the general fund had revenue – about $2.4 million – in matching funds to receive the $12 million-plus from the state and federal government.”

The percentage of people voting in favor of the sales tax – which originally only went to the schools – has increased with every vote since 2010. In 2014, which was the first year 25 percent of the 1-cent tax was earmarked for the county, 2,777 people voted in favor – 78 percent – to only 764 against.

“The commission appreciates the vote and trust of the voters to make this possible,” Massey said. “We hope it’s approved again to where we can take advantage of the total $12 million that was awarded.”

“It has increased every year, and so I hope the people who vote on it will continue to pass this because its benefits the school system and the citizens,” Moore added. “We appreciate the superintendents being supportive of it.”

The vote on the ballot reads:

Relating to Franklin County, to authorize the Franklin County Commission to allocate one-fourth of the proceeds from the existing one cent sales tax for public schools in Franklin County for the purpose of matching funds for the Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program in Franklin County, provided the allocation shall be for a term of two years and may be extended for two-year terms only if approved by a majority of voters in Franklin County in subsequent elections. (Pursuant to Amendment 881).

Voters are urged to vote yes to renew the 1-cent tax.

 

Franklin County

Franklin County Cattlemen’s Association names Cattleman of Year at annual meeting

Franklin County

Farmers market offers vouchers for those 60-plus

Franklin County

Vaccine distribution begins in Franklin County 

Franklin County

County adopts collaborative action plan for hazard mitigation

Franklin County

Commissioners explain split vote regarding county engineer’s contract renewal

Franklin County

Ashlyn & Austin James – Aug. 1, 2020

Features

Local florists offer tips for wedding beauty in blooms

Franklin County

Virtual limitations brings new innovation in 4-H 

Franklin County

Officials urge safety during winter weather

Franklin County

Vaccine distribution widens

Franklin County

Franklin County sees fewer students choose virtual

Franklin County

First Metro Bank hosts fundraiser for FAME Ranch 

Franklin County

Franklin County Tournament Champions

Franklin County

ADPH expands vaccine distribution

News

Russellville Fire Department presents annual awards

Franklin County

Tiffin Motorhomes sells to THOR Industries

News

306 Barbecue plans for Russellville location

News

RCS returns to school with increased in-person numbers

Franklin County

DHR seeks foster parents

Franklin County

ADPH pleas for halt to COVID vaccine phone calls

Franklin County

Frog Pond resident Steve Trash opens Alabama Academy of Magic 

News

New restaurant opens in former Taylor’s location

News

City adds to property on Highway 24

Franklin County

Commission looks to hire assistant engineer

x