Local candidates qualify for municipal elections
Municipal elections are barely a month away, set for Aug. 23, and now is the time for citizens to begin to decide who will lead their towns over the next four years. Yesterday ended the qualifying period for prospective candidates for council and mayor positions
across the county.
Qualifying closed at 5 p.m.; the following is the most up-to-date list of qualified candidates as of 3 p.m. Tuesday, prior to press deadline.
In Russellville, all races are contested, and all incumbents are running for re-election.
• Mayor: Randy Bray, David Grissom and Donnie Horton,
• 1: David Palmer and John Thorn
• 2: Judy Miller, Ronnie Murphy and William Nale
• 3: Roy Cornelison, Gary Cummings and Dwight Jackson
• 4: Arthur Elliot, Lanny Hubbard and Billy Patterson
• 5: Brent Caldwell and Jamie Harris
In Hodges as of yesterday afternoon, one council seat had no contenders.
• Mayor: Danny Avery, Wendell Williford and Terry Petree
• 1: Julia Rollins
• 2: Jeff Stidham
• 3: Danyelle Gouth
• 5: Samantha Gann
Vina’s election will feature incumbents as well as newcomers.
• Mayor: DW Franklin and Marshall Rogers
• 1: Renea Chandler
• 2: Jeff McAlister
• 3: Dewayne Raper
• 4: Lula Abston
• 5: Denieta Cantrell
Phil Campbell will boast contested races for all but one.
• Mayor: Steve Bell and Victor Hawkins
• 1: Melissa Mohr and Mike McQuarry
• 2: Danny Brown
• 3: Eddie Barton and Eddie Marbutt
• 4: Lynn Landers and Rita Barton
• 5: Jim Cartee and Phillip King
In Red Bay, several positions will be uncontested.
• Mayor: Charlene Fancher, Mike Shewbart and Bobby Nelson
• 1: Mike Kennedy
• 2: Jarod Massey
• 3: Herbert Trulove and Andy Deaton
• 4: Jason Vinson
• 5: Brad M. Bolton